Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Sometimes God writes a chapter in our story we would never choose

I prayed. I asked others to pray for no complications after birth.  God said no.  You see this was one of my fears and God saw it best for me to walk through that door.

Soon after labor, I developed low grade fever that eventually turned into a flu like virus making me very ill. That virus ended and I went straight into a uterine infection.  My fever at times spiked to 103.7.  Yesterday in the wee hours of the morning, I noticed stomach cramping that got worse and worse until around 10 am. At this point, I could not move due to the pain. I became delusional and spiked a fever of 103.  We called our midwife who was out preparing for Halloween with her family. She dropped all her stuff in the floor of the store and came immediately to me.  I was diagnosed with a uterine infection and administered fluids and 4 rounds of a potent antibiotics every 6 hours. I could  not walk nor move. I was in excruciating pain yet I knew I was in the best care possible with Lauren.  Lauren was also consulting a top doctor in Atlanta Ga who trained her.

Lauren comes with much experience.  You can read about her here:http://serendipitymidwifery.com/Meet_Our_Staff_2.html  She is extremely well rounded and practices evidence based medicine.  She is middle of the road....if a natural method is proven, she utilizes it. If a traditional medical method is proven, she uses it.  I love that.  She is a mix of natural and medical which this world needs more of. She listened as I cried about the idea of taking such potent antibiotics.  She talked about risks verses benefits and told me how serious my situation was.   I trusted her and told her to do whatever I needed.  She was by my side every 6 hours for an hour or more at a time talking me through any and everything and has been available by phone or text as needed.

Today, I am on the upswing I think.  I am hobbling to the bathroom and back now, which originally was impossible. I still have pain and am weak with fever controlled by Tylenol, but am so grateful to know what is going on and slowly but surely get better.  I am confined to my room on bed-rest, but hope to feel like a normal post par-tum woman by the weekend.

I don't know why all this happened, but I do know that I have a father that is o so good.  He was not surprised when I shook my fist out of fear. He was not surprised by my tears or anger at the lot I was dealt. I was reminded of his goodness and embraced it quicker than the last trial as he has given me much practice in dealing with trials.  I am learning to trust and rest in a father that is writing a beautiful story that I am only in the middle of.  I don't rest well nor trust well, but as the years go by, centimeter by centimeter I do trust and rest more- all evidence of his mighty work.  

As I have had time to reflect much the past week since I am incapable of doing anything on my own, I find myself reflecting often on love. I thought I knew what love was when I married my husband close to 12 years ago. Looking back I had no clue- no clue at all.  With each trial, I grow in admiration and respect and love for him.  His strength is mighty.  His tenderness and sacrifice is unending.  This past week he has been asked to do things that are beyond yucky yet he has stomached it and done it all.  That is a man and that is love.

We have been blown away by the love of our community near and far.  I have read every email and text even when unable to respond.  We have devoured every meal and listened to every message.

I have also thought much on those dealing with chronic illnesses and long physical suffering as I now have a tiny glimpse of what they go through.  It has been humbling, but needed.

So now, sick yet recovering, I choose to rest in His plan all the while asking continued protection of our new son.  Would you pray for our little one's health as he is not even a week old?  Would you pray for the Lord to continue to protect our newborn and me as my immune system is shot?  One of our son's is now running fever and feeling lousy.  My husband and my mother are handling it as I cannot.  We are all weary and this just seems like too much with our lack of sleep and one thing after another.  We are asking the Lord that this would not spread.

5 comments:

  1. so thankful that you have had a better day today and will continue praying for your newborn, your other children, husband, mother, and of course, you!
    leigh craft

    ReplyDelete
  2. All God's Blessings to all of you,your dear precious mother included.Please give my love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen! Melissa Clemens Toomajian here. Just read of your trial here and want you to know we are praying. Love you and sending you a hug.

    ReplyDelete