Friday, September 4, 2015

Quit that!

You know that thing called spiraling- well, yep, I did it again.   Spiraling is a term I use when I loose my peace and anxiety sets in.  Today at an appointment, I was faced with the fact that I have many decisions to make in the next couple weeks that quite frankly feel huge to me.  There are limited resources and as of now many roads I could take.  Truth be told, I wanted this season done.  I did not want to be here.  I wanted it checked off my list, but providence has it that I am here. 

Kara Tipetts, a woman who transparently battled cancer and now resides in heaven, taught me so much through her life example and her writings to fight for peace for as long as it takes.  So, this time as soon as I got the kiddos in bed I made a choice to apply Philippians 4:6-7: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  I ran to silence, piano hymn music, and my bible to regain my peace.   It took a while, but it came.  I took out my pen and wrote down verses that I will read when the temptation to spiral comes again as I know it will.  I also reached out to a listening ear to just vent and talk through my thoughts.  Thankful for my mama!

One verse that stood out tonight causing me to sit and chew on it again and again was 2 Corinthians 5:9-11: "So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it.  For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due to him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. Since then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men."

Though I don't have to please God for salvation because Jesus did that by trading his flawless record for my ragged record, I am to seek to please him because he tells me to in his word.  His word makes plain how I am to please him.  John 14:15 says "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." To truly prove this love, I must not merely utter the words out of my mouth, but live them out in obedience.  It is so easy to say something and quite another to put my words to action. 1 John 5:3 says, "In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome..." So somehow when God says in his word not to worry (Matthew 6:34), he knows what he is talking about and I am to trust him to make my paths straight.  At the same time, he knows my human nature is quick to worry, and he is okay with that.  In fact, he does not expect perfection at all.  He just wants me to make moment by moment decisions to trust him and obey him, and when I don't, to repent quickly. 

Toward the end of this passage, 2 Corinthians 5:9, degrees of reward in heaven are clearly taught.  Though myself and all believers are forgiven and will never suffer the ultimate punishment of hell thanks to Jesus dying on the cross and giving us his perfect record, every Christian will stand before God at the day of judgement and be held accountable for what we did both good and bad. 

This verse created a healthy 'fear' in me tonight-  a reverent, godly fear.  To fear the Lord in this verse doesn't mean to be afraid of him because he is mean or to be afraid of eternal condemnation.  In fact, it means quite the opposite.  It means to possess a healthy, reverent fear of Christ's displeasure at the choices we make while here on earth.   My prayer tonight is that I will trust him in my moments, repent quickly, and love well- both God and others.  John 13:34-35 tells me to love others as I have been loved and by doing this others will know I am his.  I mean, ya'll, when I really think about God's radical love, I am overcome with gratitude...Jesus came down from heaven and became man and then suffered and died. Why?  So we could be rescued and with him for all eternity.  That is the example he set for us to follow....to die to ourselves, our conveniences, and our wants and love well others.   

So to end the night, I will scheme how I can bless a family and make them smile in our town that is hurting.  Giving truly is better than receiving and is the best medicine for my soul. 

How are you struggling?  What steps can you take to regain your peace?  Who is hurting in your community that you can bring relief to through a meal, a letter, an anonymous gift card, a visit?

No comments:

Post a Comment