Friday, May 17, 2013

Laying a Memorial Stone

Yesterday, we received an official statement in the mail saying our debt had been paid in full from the short sale of one of our former properties.  The exact wording went like this: “The mortgage servicer on the above referenced account is sending you the enclosed documents because our records show that this loan has been paid in full.”  For those of you who did not read the former post A Gospel Life....Jesus and My Money , we owned two homes in another state whose value was greatly impacted by the recession, losing over half their original value and making it impossible to sell without taking on insurmountable debt.  A little over two months ago, after two long years of trying to sell them, our homes sold through short sales, ridding us of the heavy burden of maintaining them while living in another state.    
When I opened that document from our former loan company, the kids were asleep, and I actually had time to reflect, which is rare these days.  I saw this document as a gentle reminder to commit to memory the many lessons we learned through our two year trial given that I can be so quick to forget God’s grace in my life; I can be so quick to repeat over and over the very same mistakes.  As I sat there reflecting back on the last two years and the tremendous amount of money we would need to pay the bank just to sell our houses prior to the short sales going through, an image of the cross came to mind.  In the same way that we had an impossible debt to pay regarding our homes, we also had an impossible debt to pay regarding our sin.  However, in the same way the short sale cleared our mortgage debt making us right with the bank and thus debt free; Jesus also cleared our sin debt completely on the cross making us right with God.  He not only cleared our sin debt but gave us his perfect record.  He took my ugly sin record and put it on Himself giving me His spotless record, so that when God looks at me, He sees perfection; He sees Jesus. 

I plan to frame this document as a remembrance of a time in our lives that God met us in the most unusual way.   I do not want to forget the many lessons we have learned about money. 

The Bible actually speaks to keeping a record regarding the ways in which God moves within a heart or situation.  An important part of Israelite history in the Old Testament was the laying of memorial stones.  In Genesis 28, when Jacob ran away from home to escape the wrath of Esau, he placed a certain stone near his head as he slept.  As he was sleeping God spoke to him, 13“I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. 14 Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring.[b] 15 I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”(Genesis 28:13-15 NIV) As a result of this encounter with God, Jacob anointed this stone with oil and made some promises to God.  Later in Jacob’s life, God actually referenced this incident and stone, “I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed the sacred stone and made a vow to me.  Now leave this land immediately and return to your native land.” (Gen 31:13 NET) 

What we see from this passage is that God and Jacob had a personal history together; they shared a common memory and they both could reference it.   By God referencing this event, He in a sense was reminding Jacob that He was faithful, and even though that promise had been made many years prior, it was as good as if it was made today. 

This letter from our former mortgage company, that will soon be framed, is my memorial stone.  I want to remember it; I need to remember it.  The biggest lessons we learned as a family can really be summed up in Psalm 127: 1 “Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.”  Some people make an idol out of spending money and some out of saving money.  Neither is good.  We err on the saving end.  If we invest in real estate, if we invest in …., if we save, then we are secure.  Those are some of the idols, some of the lies, that we bowed down to and gave much of our effort to in our early married years; and without God’s grace in our lives, those are the lies that we will continually believe.  We gave the tithe and maybe a little more, but our hearts were not cheerful givers.  We may not have said it out loud, but how we lived our life up until recently showed that we believed it was exclusively our job to make our life work out right.  After walking through two years that seemed like ten years watching our savings dwindle trying to keep two houses afloat and facing the fact that all the money we used to fix them up plus the 20% down we put in both houses, we would never see again, God began to break us.  We now know after a very hard but gracious and needed lesson that God truly is our provider, that it is much more blessed to give than receive, and that if God does not build our house, we truly labor in vain.  It must be noted that when I say something, I cannot say everything, so please do not get me wrong.  Saving money is wise and we are called to be wise with money; however the issue is the heart.  God always looks at the heart.  What I now know is that when I try to be frugal and save so that I can reach earthly security, I am not trusting God to be my provider.  Neither spending frivolously nor hoarding money is trusting God.  Everything we have is His and we are called to be good stewards of whatever He entrusts us with.  We are called to both enjoy what He has given us, using it to meet our own needs and, secondly, to lavishly give it away.  It is not the amount of money we give as we see in Luke 21 when the widow gave out of her poverty; it is the spirit with which the gift was given.
 
I know our struggle will continue to be to hold firmly to the things Jesus has so kindly given us, and I know so much of our desire to save and be wise is great... but it is so freeing and nice to know that we can admit that many times the very Godly and Wise choices the Turners make, are not so wise and godly after all... they are calculated ways we try to protect ourselves and not trust our Savior.  I am thankful we know a God that is so patient and merciful to us Turners!

No comments:

Post a Comment